Galapagos Photos and Videos

Below are a series of photos of the Galapagos Islands to help give a sense of this magical place.  Often referred to as “Darwin’s Paradise,” it is also challenged by the pressing demands of the expanding human dimension. As of 2018, 275,000 visitors enjoyed seeing the iconic species and the iconic landscapes of this special place, and 35,000 residents occupied the human use zones on Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Isabela, and Floreana Islands. With the Galapagos National Park retaining 97% of the land area for conservation and protection, the remaining 3% supports local communities and the agricultural activities in the highlands. By far, tourism is the central economic sector in the Galapagos Islands, but fisheries and agriculture have been historically important employment sectors.

Also below is a YouTube video of UNC undergraduate students conducting research at the Galapagos Science Center, San Cristobal Island (July 2014):

Slide29Slide27Slide28DSC_0032DSC_0050Caragua Picture #5 DSC_0645 DSC_0447 DSC_0433 DSC_0428 DSC_0536DSC_0541 DSC_0312 DSC_0138 DSC_0113 DSC_0320 DSC_0306 DSC_0282 DSC_0255 DSC_0252 DSC_0217 DSC_0215 DSC_0107 DSC_0038 DSC_0050 DSC_0032